Jewish House on Teatralna Square was opened in 1908. Until the outbreak of World War II it was the center of Jewish life in Chernivtsi; different Jewish organizations were located there. During the Soviet times it was the cultural center for workers of textile industry. After 1990 few rooms were returned to Jewish community. Jewish museum was opened in 2008 on the first floor of the building.